Tuesday 11 September 2012

Institutional Mode of Representation (IMR)

What is IMR?
IMR stands for Institutional Mode of Representation, which is the dominant mode of film construction. In 1914 this was a particular style that was developed after the turn of the century and became the norm. The purpose of the IMR was to try and attempt to create a fictional world on screen that the audience would feel a part of, almost like they are taking part of the story. This was produced by placing close up of the character's faces so the audience where are to engage with their emotions and feel a "connection" with them. 

How does this relate to my music video?
In theory I would say IMR is relevant to my music video, as I will be telling a story through a fictional world of my main character's eyes. I am using two characters to create a fictional world (a boy and a girl) to help the viewers engage in the narrative, as well as relating to the situation. This could make my audience feel they are either involved in my music video or have a connection with how one of the characters are feelings due to the fact they have experienced something similar in the past. As my video is not linear, it switches from past to present throughout it, leaving 'untold' sections of the story, which the viewers will have to interpret it themselves. This will create a more powerful message in my opinion, ensuring my audience feel something by the end of my music video. I will ensure that when it comes to making my video come to life, I need to consider the relationship of the couple is realistic and that empathy for each character is included.

No comments:

Post a Comment