Friday 7 September 2012

Audience Pleasures In Relation To My Coursework

Audiences Pleasures:
The media is one of the most powerful ways of influencing individuals to do something or believe something they have been told. There are many theories that can have an affect on society and therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to research them and then adapt my music video to appeal to my target audience.

One of the main theories I researched was the is the "Two Step Theory", which I believe fits to my music video the most. This theory explains how social influence can play a massive part on individuals beliefs and opinions.

Paul Lazarsfeld, Bernard Berelson, and Hazel Gaudet analysed the voters' decision-making processes during a 1940 presidential election campaign and published their results in a paper called The People's Choice. Their findings implied that the information does not directly flow from the text into the minds of its audience unmediated but is filtered through other people’s opinions who they communicate and interactive with. This means some people may be influenced by their friends or families choice, meaning they are not being influenced by a direct process, but by a two step flow. Therefore, "word of mouth" is a very powerful way of influences people, as individuals like to share interests and recommend particular songs to listen to or music videos to watch.

Overall,  the "Two Step Theory" relates to my music video as the whole concept of the theory. Many people go through break ups sometime in their life and tend to relate to songs to help them get through the tough time, knowing they are not alone. As I am relating my video back to "the memory", I will have to ensure that I maintain typical conventions of a break up song, so people are able to relate to the storyline and that when watching the music video they know what is happening. Otherwise, if I didn't stick to typical conventions this could confuse the reader and not recommend my music videos like people do with existing ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment