Friday 16 November 2012

Digipak Research

What is a digipak?
"A digipak is a fairly recent type of packaging for CD's, which is typically made out of a heavy cardboard material. It will normally open like a book or be in three parts with one opening to the left, another to the right and the CD in the middle in the more traditional 'jewel CD case' stuck onto the card background. They are most frequently used for special edition releases and allow for more information, including lyrics or information on the band and more graphic display."

I particularly like Rihanna's digipak as she keep continuity throughout all of the sides, which I believe makes it more visually appealing. Therefore, I will try and create a digipak that sticks to a sort of theme or continuity throughout.

....................................

Although these aren't necessarily digipak's, here are a variety of albums and singles that Mayday Parade have produced so far.


Conclusion:
After doing some research into their existing products there seem to be a common theme within all their work. None of their albums actually have the band members on the cover, which is rather unconventional for "typical" albums. However, due to the fact I am creating a promotional digipak for their album, I should stick to their convention of not having the artist on the cover. Another similarity between these front covers is that, they are not real life images, they have an animated/drawn feeling to it. I will try and stick this convention, although I have no idea how to create this effect at the moment! So I will to have to have a look at the editing website called picmonkey or any others if they can help me with this sort of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment