Monday 3 December 2012

Representations My Music Video Produces

Throughout my music video I tried to keep to the true representations and ideologies of how couple act when in a relationship. In my video there are two characters, one boy and one girl, who are in a relationship, however, it hits breaking point with an arguments resulting her leaving the house.


The girl: 
During the happy memories of their relationship she is represented as a bubbly and happy individual spending time with her boyfriend. However, as they get into an argument, she shows a different side by standing her ground and not being perceived as weak and vulnerable woman which many people would have stereotypically thought her to be (throughout history). I think if I had stuck to the stereotypical woman I wouldn't be display a true representation of women from this current day.

The boy: 
Throughout their happy memories he is perceived as a "loved-up" teenager whose girlfriend is his world. This is particularly shown when he is left on his own to carry on life without her, as he can't seem to cope (due to the fact he is constantly looking back at the past). Additionally, this is displayed mainly when he looks for comfort in the scrapbook and constantly reminiscing of the happy times they once shared together. The scene where he has his head in his hands, portrays him as heartbroken and I believe this is how a guy would act if he had lost his first love.

The couple:
The boy and girl together, are represented as a stereotypical couple who are "lovey dovey" during the happy memory moments. Like the majority of couples, they have arguments and make up. However, they don't get the chance as she gets run over, which in a way is an unstereotypical representation of a "break up".

Representations:
By sticking to true representations of both of the characters, I believe that my target audience where able to emphasise with the storyline I created. Although it is not an everyday occurrence to have your loved one get run over, the message I am trying to perceive is how one decision can have an huge impact on someones life. Not only this, but couples who have gone through arguments and feel similar regret like in the video, understand how the protagonist wishes he could take things back that were said between them. However, as showed in this video, it is not always easy to do, as people can leave your life as quickly as they entered. The use of argument scene especially, helps creates a "likability" from the audience for the characters as they maybe able to relate to this regretful situation, which I believe provokes emotion while watching the video. The audience feel sympathy for both character, but more so the male, as the song is sung from his perspective and point of view.

Relating back to my video, I believe that I used most of the uses and gratifications that I mentioned earlier in my previous post. Firstly, I ensured that I linked my music video into informing a hidden message of "how one decision can change the rest of your life ", so that satisfied my audience "seeking advice on practical matters or opinions and decision choices". Although  though the music video doesn't entirely tell people what to do in these sort of situations, but shows that life is unexpected and that anything can happen. In a way it also reinforces the idea that there are a variety of choices in life you can make just be careful on which one you choose as it could change both you and others lives forever, which I think it was Mayday Parade were trying to convey in the lyric of this song.


I would say that my audience were able to gain personal identity from my video, as they can relate to how either character was feeling if they have lost a loved one before. Although this situation doesn't occur everyday it does suggest that people can lose love at any point in their life, whether they are young or old. I believe the title itself "memory" has a strong message that works well with the lyrics and this is why I represented my music video in this way. Additionally, my peers could even feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that someone is going through the same emotions as they are (losing someone dear to them). It may be a storyline and a fictional music video in a sense, but people have a tendency to use music video as a form of escapism of their lives.


Furthermore, I would say that my music video links well to social interaction and integration. This is mainly down to the fact I tried to gain an insight into unexpected circumstances that could happen to others during their lifetime, which I feel evoked empathy for others. I think I was able to gain empathy for the characters in my music video, as a variety of people did cry towards the end, implying they felt it was a realistic situation. I also believe my music video identified with others, as if people had gone through this situation or whether they had just lost to love they would be able to  gain a sense of belonging. Due to the fact, my music video has a touching twist to the end, no one really expected it as they assumed it would be your "typical" break up video. However, once they had discovered this, I overheard a variety of people talking to their friends about it, heightening the fact word of mouth was present here and they did enjoy watching it.


Lastly, as music video are primarily used for entertainment purposes, I would like to think that I didn't disappoint on this factor. I also think I achieved ritual pleasures, with the shots that I used in my music video. This means that people recognised typical conventions you would see in music video like the lip syncing involved in mine. Overall, I feel this I was able to create a successful music video that people enjoyed watching, as well as ensuring they appreciated the message behind the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment